Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Food food and more food

BJ's Brewery just opened a new restaurant around the corner from the Boy's summer home in Sacramento and we decided to stroll in for some lunchtime grub. The waiter excitedly announced that we arrived in time for the lunch specials (from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.) and told us that any menu item with a little black/white circle next to it will have the lunch special price applied to it. Sweet.

After spending 15 minutes looking through every single item in their menu, the Boy and I both decided to have the bowl of soup and half a sandwich lunch special (all for $7.95 per person). He ordered the barbeque chicken sandwich with fries and I ordered the club sandwich with fries. We both chose clam chowder for our soup.

Another waiter brings out our half of the meal, the "bowl" of clam chowder. It was a HUGE bowl. I guessed that the amount of soup they gave each of us was about the same amount that would come in a Progressive can of clam chowder. I sat there staring at it, wondering how I would fit half a sandwich after eating the bowl of clam chowder. It was damn good chowder though, I won't argue with that.

As we were trying to see the bottom of our bowls of clam chowder, another server bought out our sandwiches. I notice that there is half a potato on my plate and so I quickly told the server that I had ordered fries with the sandwich. She said she would go get me a plate of fries. But then something looked odd. The Boy's sandwich didn't look like a chicken sandwich at all. But before I could ask the Boy if that was what he ordered, our original waiter comes by, swoops up both plates of sandwiches and whispers "she delivered it to the wrong table" and continues to give the food to the people behind us. Good thing we didn't lick the sandwiches yet.

And while we're still trying to finish our bowls of clam chowder, the server who brought us the wrong plates of sandwiches came back with my plate of fries. She looked at the empty table and looked confused about where the plates of sandwiches were. I gently told her that those sandwiches belonged to someone else and she started counting tables and realized she did deliver the food to the wrong table. She let me keep the extra plate of fries though.

After about 15 minutes, we both gave up on trying to finish the clam chowder. We both could have shared just one bowl of chowder. And at this point, we were both too full for anything else. But our sandwiches came out, with more fries, and we eat took a couple bites of the sandwich and fries and so people didn't think we were anorexic or thought we didn't like the food. The fries were so good that I kept stuffing myself while moaning that I was too full to eat another bite. The Boy had to tell me to "put the fry down and step away from the table."

So in the end, we had a bowl of clam chowder, a quarter of a chicken sandwich and a quarter of a club sandwich plus a ton of fries to take home for snacking. Unfortunately, it's still sitting in the fridge and by the time we get up to Sacramento this weekend, it'll probably be bad. Oh well, guess we'll have to go back to BJ's so I can eat the chocolate chunk pizookie again. Yum.

No comments: