Wednesday, September 21, 2005

the best of the worst

About two hours ago, I'm in my car on my way to pick up my bf at his place, when all of a sudden I notice smoke coming out of the hood of my car. I had noticed the smoke about two minutes earlier, thinking it was wind blowing the smoke from the exhaust, but it was just a little bit of smoke. When I notice smoke coming out of the hood, however, it was like a chimney with fire burning down below. The "nice" lady in the van next to my car also noticed the smoke coming out of my car and she yelled out "Get your car off the road, it's burning!" but what she really meant after yelling that at me for the 10th time was "GET THAT F#$KING THING AWAY FROM ME. I DON'T WANT TO BE NEXT TO YOU WHEN THAT CAR BLOWS!" Thanks for warning lady.

I was at a red light when all this smoke was increasing. There was a gas station to my left, on the other side of the median. All I had to do was make the left turn, get to the next light (approx. 25 feet away) to make another left turn and get to the gas station. Well, I phoned my bf to let him know that my car was smoking up and that he should probably come get me at the gas station. As soon as I hang up on him, my car starts making creaky, crunchy noises just as I make it to the second light. I'm thinking the light will turn green any second so I can just quickly make the left turn and dash for the gas station, but NO, it took FOREVER for the light to turn green. And in the meantime, my car is smoking up the gazoo and it's cranking and clanking louder and louder. I start to fear that my car really is going to blow up so I turn off the engine and ran out onto the median of the road, leaving my car behind in the middle of the road at the stop light. Second phone call to the bf frantically telling him that I didn't make it to the gas station and my car is in the middle of the road and I think it's gonna blow.

After about ten minutes, the smoke disappears and my bf arrives and decides to push the car to the gas station. The freaking red light took another five minutes to turn green, and a nice woman graciously helps us out by pushing my car with her car. Only the wheels were locked so I couldn't make a complete turn and her son got out to help my bf push the car backwards, then forwards again until we were able to park the car at the curb of the gas station. I am so grateful to know there are still good samaritans out there. If you're reading this, THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME!!

Thank goodness this didn't happen while we were on the way to the airport. I can't imagine being able to get out of the car if it did started to burn up. Anyway, bf made it to the airport on time and is on his way to the East Coast for the weekend. And I just barely made it home with his car.

As for my dud of a car, anyone need some car parts? I don't think I want to drive it anymore.

No comments: