Thursday, September 23, 2010

brain freeze

The last time I was shopping at Safeway, I bought two pints of Haagen-Dazs ice-cream - one of mint chocolate chip and one of mango sorbet.  Note that it was over a month ago when I bought the ice-cream.  I'm surprised at myself that they have lasted this long in the freezer because I usually go through a pint in about half an hour.  I think I just forgot about having ice-cream in the fridge.  Anyway, I've been eating the mango sorbet every now and then because I was craving mango.  There's still half a pint left.  The mint chocolate chip has never been opened.

Last night, I was actually craving something chocolate.  I remembered the mint chocolate chip ice-cream so I went to the freezer to get it out.  What I found in the freezer, however, was the half pint of mango sorbet and an unopened pint of vanilla chocolate chip.  The following is the conversation I was having with myself:

"Vanilla chocolate chip?  I thought I had a pint of mint chocolate chip in here."

"Is this even mine?"

"I don't see any other ice-cream."

"Did I already eat the mint chip and forgot about eating it?"

"Did I really buy vanilla chocolate chip instead of mint chocolate chip?"

"I was very tired that day when I bought the ice-cream."

"Maybe I mistakenly thought the label said mint chocolate chip."

"But why would I ever buy vanilla chocolate chip?  I would have chosen rocky road or banana split if there was no mint chocolate chip."

"I guess I thought it was mint chocolate chip.  The labels do look similar."

"Wow, my memory is going."

"Perhaps I did just make a mistake and bought vanilla chocolate chip thinking it was mint chocolate chip."

"Wow, I should read the labels more carefully next time."

"I guess I did buy vanilla chocolate chip."

"Oh well."

So, after I convinced myself that I bought vanilla chocolate chip because I mistakenly thought it was mint chocolate chip, I opened it up and had a couple of scoops, thus satisfying my chocolate craving.

Today, while I was making dinner with the roomies sitting around, one (Roommie #1) of them asked, "Who's Haagen-Dazs is in the freezer?"  The other roommie (Roomie #2) replied that the ice-cream were mine.  And I also claimed possession of them.

Roomie #1 then confessed: "I ate all of your mint chocolate chip ice-cream last Friday.  I went to Safeway to buy you a replacement so that you wouldn't figure it out, but they didn't have anymore mint chocolate chip ice-cream.  So I hope you're happy with vanilla chocolate chip for the time being."

I laughed and loudly exclaimed: "So I'm not crazy!"

She didn't know what I was referring to, so I had to tell her how I had convinced myself that I bought the vanilla chocolate chip and not mint chocolate chip ice-cream.  She concurred that I was not losing my mind.

I knew my memory doesn't fail me when it comes to food!

No comments: