Thursday, September 23, 2010

b bar happy hour

No, I'm not ranking the happy hour a B, it's actually the name of the restaurant - B Restaurant & Bar.  The restaurant kinda sits on top of the Yerba Buena Gardens, providing a stunning view of the downtown financial district.  I met up with YW for happy hour to celebrate a job offer at the time and she wanted to go to this place to try out the happy hour oyster bar because she loves oysters, especially more so when the oysters are $1 a piece at happy hour.

Happy Hour Food


Ginger Rickys - happy hour drink of gin, lime and gingerale. It was a light drink packed with just enough alcohol to give you a buzz. That, or I was drinking on an empty stomach and the alcohol went straight to my head. Tasted a little like ginger lemonade.
Ginger Rickey


Dollar Oysters - YW ordered different varieties of the oysters, but I can't recall exactly what kind they were. However, I do remember that she ordered a dozen, but there seems to be only none on the platter. I don't even think we noticed at the time that there were only nine on the platter. Oh well.
Dollar Oysters

I don't like raw food, so I really don't like raw oysters, especially these big ones. YW convinced me to try just one so that I can tell people I actually tried a raw oyster. So I picked out the smallest one, poured a ton of hot sauce on top, and then just kinda slurped it up in my mouth, chewed about three times so as not to choke when I finally swallowed. Surprisingly, raw oysters are not that bad to the taste. It was not fishy tasting at all. And YW even said they were really really fresh. She wanted me to eat more but I declined. I tried it and that's enough. The idea of eating raw food still grosses me out.

Truffle Fries - really crispy fries with sea salt and herbs. You all know how much I love fries and these did not disappoint. I was really close to ordering a second serving...
Truffle Fries


Mussels cooked in white wine, tomatoes and basil. Unlike YW, I like to eat the smaller sized bivalves - mussels, rather than the oysters. The white wine sauce was sweet and the mussels themselves were very fresh. No fishy flavor at all.
Mussels


Chicken Glazed Wings & Buffalo Mozzerella - I liked the salami; the mozzerella - not so much. Of course, I loved the wings. If we weren't sitting outside in the cold breeze, these wings might have tasted a lot better warmer. But the chili glaze was more sweet than spicy, and it was yummy to the taste.
Buffalo Mozzarella


If you haven't guessed, we sat outside, and it was gorgeous. We watched the sun set as we were eating.

Happy Hour with a view


Happy Hour with a view


Then we had to hurry up and finish because it got cold when the sun disappeared behind the buildings. To get some warmth, we spent the next three hours shopping at Macys. =)

No comments: