Saturday, March 20, 2010

white house sundae challenge

Before you wonder why you didn't see any official notice about any White House Sundae Challenge, let me explain that this was a personal challenge from me for us (me and two friends) to eat a ginormous ice-cream sundae at Giffords Ice-Cream & Candy Co.  Let's start from the beginning, shall we?

After a long day of walking around another Smithsonian (separate post to follow) and around the national botanical gardens, my companions and I decided to take an ice-cream break.  CG just wanted a milk shake, AL wanted a scoop or two, and the shop was having $2 scoop happy hour.  I was looking at the sundae menu and my eyes immediately lit up and excited I exclaimed to the others: "We HAVE to get the White House Sundae!!!"  They asked what it was and I explained that it was the biggest sundae they offered and the three of us could totally take on six scoops of ice-cream.  It took a little pressuring, but CG and AL finally caved in to my request for the White House Sundae.

"What is the White House Sundae?" you ask?  Well, it's six GINORMOUS scoops of ice-cream, four toppings, all covered in whip cream and cherries on top.  Yeah, sounds like a lot, and it was a lot.  Here are pictures of the entire process of The White House Sundae Madness, from beginning to the very last drop:

This nice lady didn't even know what the White House Sundae was or that it was even on the menu.  But she was curious to see the other guy make our giant sundae.
Making the giant sundae

He needed some strong muscles to get our six scoops of ice-cream.  Each "scoop" was like four regular scoops.
piling on the ice cream

Our choice of flavors for the ice-cream: chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, caramel apple, roasted coconut and mint chocolate chip.
six ginormous scoops of ice cream

Our choice of toppings: swiss sauce, caramel sauce, strawberry sauce, and peanuts.  All the ice-cream and toppings were then topped off with a ton of whip cream, and then cherries make it complete.
The White House Sundae


And the eating begins!

digging in


making a dent


making progress


getting down to the bottom

As we were eating it, the nice old lady at the counter kept bringing us more candy and even a bowl of sugar cone bits.  She probably thought we were slowing down in our eating efforts and needed some more sugar to boost.
even more toppings were given to us


Adding sugar cone pieces in to finish off.


ALL GONE!
All gone!

Surprisingly, CG and I both felt fine afterwards.  AL, however, felt a bit sick and said she needed some substance food in her belly.  So we went for a little walk down to a pub and she had some potato soup and bread.  I think it helped settle down her belly full of ice-cream.

I so totally want to do the White House Sundae challenge again.  Perhaps I'll even try to eat it myself next time... =)

No comments: