Tuesday, July 10, 2007

stereotype #58

If you're Vietnamese, then you must work at a nail salon or own a nail salon, or both.

.... .... .... ....

I was sitting on the bus this morning, all decked out in a power suit and rocking out to my iPod, when I felt this tap on my shoulder. I ignored it, because I was not in a social mood. But the tapping continued. So I whipped around -- with earphones still in my ears -- and this Asian guy asks me something that I can't hear because you know, my earphones are in my ears. I shake my head and turn around again because I really am not in a very social mood at 8 am in the morning. This guy, however, kept tapping my shoulder.

I pulled one earphone out of an ear and asked, "WHAT?!?"

Weird Asian Guy: Are you Filipino?

Me: No, I am not.

And then I stuck my earphone back in my ear and turn around again. Weird Asian Guy continued to tap on my shoulders.

This time, I pulled out my earphones and glared at him as I turned around.

Me: "Yes?"

Weird Asian Guy: Are you Chinese then?

Me: No.

Weird Asian Guy: Then what are you?

Me: Vietnamese.

Weird Asian Guy: You work at a nail salon, huh? All Vietnamese works at a nail salon.

Me: No, I do not.

I turned around again, thinking "What the fuck? I'm wearing a suit jacket and skirt with high heels on. Does it look like I'm dressed up to go to work in a nail salon?"

Weird Asian Guy continued tapping my shoulder and I'm thinking why can't this guy take a hint?

So, note to all you bus riders: DON'T BOTHER ANYONE WITH EARPHONES IN HIS/HER EARS. They might not want to talk to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you did work at a nail salon.... You don't??

:)

Woods

Anonymous said...

Your just bitter!!! 3rd Week! =)

E-