Saturday, January 21, 2006

Pilgrimage to Costco

I cannot believe how many people go shopping at Costco on a Saturday afternoon! It took fifteen minutes to find a parking spot. Half an hour to get the stuff I needed. And an unbelievable forty minutes to wait in line to pay! Forty minutes!

I live on my own, so you must wonder why I go through the Costco hell and buy things in bulk? It's cheaper in the long run. Buying one pack of paper towels, toilet paper, trash bags, paper plates, deoderant, contact lenses solution, etc., will usually last me six months before I have to make another pilgramage to Costco.

And you know, I love the hot dog combo at Costco. A buck fifty for a giant Italian sausage-n-bun and a coke. What more could you ask for?

Anyhow, while waiting in line to pay for stuff, these are some things I noticed others were buying:

--a family of four had their cart loaded with fruits and veggies. Boxes of apples, oranges, bananas, pineapples, and grapes. Boxes of pre-made salad mixes, carrots, celery, tomatoes, garlic, squash, potatoes. Fresh food must be eaten quickly and they can eat all of that in a week? Must be vegetarians. That or they bought all their meat products last weekend.

--a ~30 year old male with one of those flat-board carts loaded with just paper towels and toilet paper.

--another single woman with those flat-board carts loaded with just about twenty packs of bottled water. I wonder how long she's been waiting in line. I wonder how she's going to fit all of those packs of water into your car.

and to top it all off:

--an old man, probably in his sixties, buying just two giant bags of Doritoes and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

No comments: