Thursday, December 02, 2010

speaking of ramen

We started Day 2 of our shopping spree with a breakfast at Ajisen Noodle in Fremont.  Here's our spread:

Bean sprout salad with chili and seaweed sauce.  There was a bit too much mayo-like sauce on this dish for my liking.  Upon further digging, there were also some beef underneath all those bean sprouts.  The beef was tender and it was really good with the chili sauce that the whole salad was drenched in.  Due to my dislike for mayo, I probably won't give this dish another try.
bean sprout salad with seafood and chili sauce


The ramen noodle dishes!  We ordered two and shared.  The first was the handmade bbq pork noodles.  The noodles were handmade, and it was not bbq pork noodles.  The bbq pork was the meat in the noodles.  The bbq pork was very savory with just the right taste of that Chinese bbq pork flavor. 
handmade bbq pork noodles


The second bowl of ramen was the handmade tender ribs noodles.  Ohmygosh how tender these ribs were.  I don't recall any bones in the meat, but if there were, these ribs were fall off the bone tender.  And whatever marinade it was sleeping in was so flavorful. 
handmade tender ribs noodle


The broth of both ramen bowls were the same (well, the same to me anyway), and perhaps it's because of the meats, but the broth was "meaty" for lack of a better word.  I want to say the broth is juicy, but that doesn't make sense since broth is already liquid in itself.  I also loved the mushrooms in the dish.  I believe it was shitake mushrooms - oh how I have such expensive taste.  In any case, these ramen dishes were two thumbs up and I now need to find out where there is a ramen place in SF so I can get me some ramen ramen.

We also had the deep fried tofu.  You would think that all tofu tastes alike and what matters is how it's prepared.  So not true.  I don't know where this tofu came from but it was so delicious.  The texture of the tofu was very smooth when I bit into it and it was like a creamy feeling going down my throat.  It was like eating the dim sum dessert dish of tofu with ginger-sugar sauce over it, except that this fried tofu was savory and not sweet.  I'm craving this dish now that I'm writing about it.
fried tofu


Upon leaving the restaurant, we found this Domo doll on the ground near where we parked the car:
lost domo

YW didn't want it to get run over, so she put it on the top of the car next to hers. I hope it found a home!

No comments: