Saturday, May 30, 2009

eggrolls, and wontons, oh my!

I've been temporarily staying at The Boy's apartment in the city until my summer sublet is ready, and so in exchange for being so nice and letting me stay here (his roomies, not just him), I decided to make an authentic Vietnamese dinner for his peeps. Since I had a lot of time on my hands (there were no BarBri classes that day and of course I didn't feel like studying), I got ambitious and decided to make some wontons to freeze for dinner on another night.



Ingredients for my version of Vietnamese Eggrolls:

1 pound ground pork
1/2 pound ground shrimp
1 can crab meet
1 package bean threads, soaked and revived
1 small package shredded, black fungus mushroom, soaked and revived
1 shredded carrot
2 egg
salt and pepper
1 package eggroll wrapper skins.

Cooking Instructions:
Mix all ingredients (minus 1 egg and wrapper skins) together in a big bowl. Add a dash of salt and pepper for taste. With the remaining egg, separate the yolk into a bowl and save the egg whites for later consumption. Separate the eggroll skins and start wrapping the eggrolls, using the egg yolk to seal the roll towards the end of your rolling process. If you need a visual demonstration, click here (not my demonstration though). In a deep pan or pot, heat up some vegetable oil (at least an inch high of oil in the pot) on medium-high heat. Drop the eggrolls in and let fry for 7-10 minutes until golden brown. Since I am a stickler for not eating pink any kind of meat, I like to do a taste test of one eggroll to make sure it's cooked before I removing that batch from the frying pan. Eat alone as an appetizer, or add vermiccilli and salad for a meal.


Ingredients for my wonton recipe:

1/2 pound pork
1/2 pound shrimp, cut into small pieces (not necessarily grounded, but you could if you wanted to)
some scallions
a piece of ginger
dash of soy sauce
wonton skins

Cooking instructions:
mix all the ingredients together, add some soy sauce to the mixture for taste. Separate the wonton skins and put about a spoonful of filling into each wonton. Use water to seal the wontons. If eating right away, you can cook the wontons by boiling it until the wontons float to the top of the water, or steam it until the meat is cooked (again, do the taste test of one wonton to ensure the batch is ready to eat). You can also fry the wonton in inch deep oil. If not eating right away, make sure the wontons, put the plate of wontons into the freezer. After an hour or two of freezing, you can separate the wontons and put in ziplock bag for easier storage.

No comments: