Thursday, March 05, 2009

domo sushi & grill

CC and I had lunch at Domo Sushi & Grill in the Brookside area close to school. I shop at the grocery store across the street from the restaurant all the time, but just never actually noticed there was a Japanese restaurant there. The food was pretty tasty, and the price is just about the same as any other Japanese restuarant in KC (ie: pricey).
You can't skip sushi when eating at a Japanese restaurant, so we ordered the Caterpillar roll. It's kinda cute, with eyes and everything. Tasted even better than it looked, and I was not merciful in eating the head ("say goodbye caterpillar!" CHOMP).
I ordered the Yoshi Bowl off the lunch menu. I didn't exactly know what a Yoshi Bowl was since I never heard of it before and thought it'd be something new to try. The menu said it contained grilled pork and "vietnamese vinegrette" so I was a bit intrigued with that the vietnamese vinegrette was. Turned out a Yoshi Bowl is just a Vietnamese bowl of grilled pork, eggroll in vermicelli (bun cha gio thit nuong). The only difference was instead of vermecelli, there was flat rice noodles. And the vietnamese vinegrette was basically nuoc mam (sweet chili sauce). So since it was basically a Vietnamese dish that I would usually order at a Vietnamese restaurant, the Yoshi Bowl was a good selection for lunch.
CC chose the Tonkatsu lunch, which is breaded pork/chicken served with rice. CC chose the chicken. The breading on the chicken was exceptionnally done because it was not one bit soggy but somehow super crispy. And this dish was a true Japanese dish.

Now, here's a story I did not know about the restaurant: Back in 2007, a robber was eating dinner at Domo after he robbed a bank next door. The cops came into the restuarant to bust him and everything, and wouldn't let him finish dinner. Hilarious! I didn't know a local restaurant had such history! Click here for the full story (and somewhat of a review of the restaurant).

No comments: