Saturday, April 12, 2008

new japanese joint

We decided to try out a new Japanese restaurant, Nara, after classes yesterday. The happy hour menu was the thing that mainly drew our attention, but we were a little weary of how good $3 sushi would taste like.

We started off with an order of the happy hour rolls: California roll, Spicy Tuna roll, and Philadelphia roll. I'm not a big fan of raw fish so I ate mostly the California rolls, which I don't think any good restaurant could mess up. I did try the Spicy Tuna and Philadelphia roll, but because of my aversion to raw fish, I stuck a ton of wasabi on it hoping to mask the taste and texture. Wasabi worked, and I mostly had tears coming out of my eyes while eating the raw fish rolls. I don't think I chewed very well either and just quickly swallowed it.
We also ordered the Fried Gyoza, which was really tasty. It's the Japanese version of a potsticker. And for some odd reason, I really liked the curly carrot strings - they were really crispy.
The weirdest thing off the happy hour menu was the "Green Apples and Fried Wontons" dish. Just judging from the name, my friend and I thought it was going to be some kind of dumpling that involved the use of green apples and the peanut sauce was going to be used for dipping. Um, this is what came to our table: a plate with sliced green apples and fried wonton skins, with a dish of peanut sauce for dipping. It was strange, eating a green apples dipped into a sauce that didn't even taste like peanuts. The fried wonton skins were good just because of the fact that fried anything is good.
Since we hadn't yet whet our appetites, we decided to order a couple more dishes. One being the cold udon and pineapples. It was cold. I only liked the pineapples; cold udon - not so much.
The Spring Rolls - um, I like mine better. But the presentation was very pretty.
The menu didn't list what was inside the spring rolls, so we had the idea that it was going to be meatier. It was more of a vegetarian summer roll, with lettuce and a piece of mango. The bad part was that they didn't make the rolls to order. The rolls were made in advance and then stuck in the fridge until it was time to serve. When you stick spring rolls in the fridge, the skin isn't stretchy anymore and the bean thread noodles get cold and crunchy, which is something you do not want to taste.
Overall, the best things were the sushi, even if I had to eat a lot of wasabi just to mask the raw fish rolls (but that's just me; CC totally liked the raw fish rolls). We'd go back there again and just order the sushi and gyoza. We'll skip the rest.

No comments: