Tuesday, April 24, 2007

how to get a panic attack

1. Half an hour before your final exam starts, check your email to find that the person you've been negotiating with for the past three weeks has now decided to change her mind and not sublet your room for the summer. Postpone panicking because you are about to start your exam in 25 minutes.

2. Load up ExamSoft to start the exam loading process and discover that ExamSoft is refusing to work at all. Won't accept your password. Won't accept your username. Won't work. Raise your hand and furiously flag down the IT guy to fix the problem because you know, you have to take an exam in 20 minutes.

3. IT guy is downloading drivers to get ExamSoft to work and then has to re-install the program, which takes about ten minutes to be completed. After restarting, ExamSoft still doesn't work. Professor is in the room and announces that the exam will start in five minutes.

Start panicking now. Now is a good time to start panicking. See how many times I wrote start here? If only ExamSoft knew what start meant.



After getting the exam and mentally preparing to write for the next three hours, the anxiety attack really hit hard. My heartbeat was beating a million beats per second and I was slowly finding it difficult to breathe. Anyhow, the IT guy told me to go to some room upstairs after getting my exam, so I headed up there with my laptop, all the while trying to calm down and most importantly, breathe.

In the end, IT guy spent another 20 minutes fixing my laptop while I sat and tried to calm down. Whatever he did, ExamSoft finally worked and I was spared the trouble of having to write for three hours. And plus, I got to sit in a small classroom with only one other student in the room. It was awesome. Well, until I started reading the exam which left me wondering if I was taking a Property final instead of a Contracts final.

One down, three more to go. And oh yeah, now I have to find another subletter. F-ing great. No, I'm not bitter.

No comments: