Tuesday, May 23, 2006

absolutely no loyalty

My boss and I have a pretty good working relationship and so I didn't know how, or when, to tell him about my recent law school news. He's always telling me that I'm the best assistant/paralegal he ever hired and he wouldn't know what to do without me. So I felt guilty for having to break his heart and tell him that I didn't want to be his assistant anymore because I was going to law school.

The timing of when to break the news to him was important too. He's going to be spending the month of July in Ireland. I personally felt it wouldn't be nice to only give him two weeks notice right when he returns from Ireland. That only made me feel more guilty about ditching him for law school. So I did what I thought was in the best interest for both of us: I told him last Friday about leaving in August for law school.

See, I thought I was being nice and pretty fair in giving him so much notice, so that he didn't think I blindsided him (like the many associates who quit right after receiving their annual bonuses--now that's shady). And I wouldn't have told him this soon if he wasn't leaving the country right smack in the middle of summer. He took the news pretty well, and was disappointed that I was going to leave the firm but said he wouldn't want to replace me until my very last day possible (which is the first week in August--two weeks after he gets back from Ireland).

So I thought all was well. Until I overheard the office manager tell another partner that my last day will be June 30. And she didn't even tell ME this. Hello! Shouldn't I know when you fire me (especially after I told you I was going to quit)? And she was standing right there, next to my cubicle, talking to the other partner of the firm. And I kept staring at her in hopes that she would tell me personally that my last day will be June 30. But no, she just ignored me and walked back to her office.

Now, I really don't care if my last day is June 30 and not my planned date of August 4. But I feel cheated that no one is telling me this and I had to overhear it in conversation that wasn't even behind closed doors or even in whispers! And my boss is New York for the week so I wonder if this is what he told the office manager or if she's making all the hiring decisions herself.

I try to be nice but the people at this firm just wants to stab me in the back. Lot of good being nice did for me.

I should've known from the way my firm axed two former employees but I thought I was different. Ha. Words of advice to all of you out there: Show No Loyalty.

No comments: