Sunday, April 05, 2009

sugar hangover

We had a girls night yesterday and it was a feast of yummy goodness!
D brought this artichoke cheese dip (to be spread onto slices of bread) that was a little too cheesy for my liking, but everyone else at the table loved it.

D also made fruit salad and fruit dip, which was really sweet and yummy considering it had cream cheese in it. It was a nice selection of fruits for the salad.

J contributed the great garden salad, which was very yummy with the variety of dressings she also brought along. It was funny that J added everything she didn't like to the salad, just to accommodate everyone in the group. I think J might have picked out pieces of stuff she didn't like. I had my own onion pile on my plate.

The main course, prepared by C, was lasagna. It was tough to cut through, but the meat filling was sooo good that I helped myself to seconds even though I was full. And of course there was plenty of garlic bread to accompany the lasagna.

Now, I titled this post "sugar hangover" because this morning I woke up to what felt like a hangover but I didn't drink any alcoholic beverages the night before. After our lasagna dinner, the girls surprised me with cupcakes from Baby Cakes for my birthday (which is on Wednesday). I was truly very surprised because I was not expecting C to come walking out from the other room with flaming cupcakes in hand (she put candles on the cupcakes). We were all too full to immediately dive into the cupcakes, so we started playing boardgames and saved the sweets for later, when our stomachs had digested some food first.

Here's where my sugar hangover came from: red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting; and vanilla cupcakes with chocolate buttercream frosting (which is sitting in my possession awaiting for me to devour tonight because we devoured the velvet cupcakes last night).

D also made this sort of dessert cheese ball, which I can only remember that it consists of a lot of sugar, cream cheese and chocolate chips. You put the dip onto some graham crackers and it's like sweet cream cheese chocolate chip heaven.

And of course I contributed this massive heaping pile of chocolate chip cookies (Nestle Tollhouse recipe).

Between the cupcakes, dessert cheeseball, chocolate chip cookies, and some pretzels that are not pictured here (we had to have some salt to counter the sugar high), we had a great time hanging out playing board games, nertz and girl talk. It was a good thing I could sleep in today, too, because I was definitely suffering from some sort of hangover as a result of consuming all that sugar last night.

No comments: