Wednesday, August 29, 2007

the runaround

I have this theory that the Cashier's Office, Admissions Office and the Financial Office hate each other and don't want to deal with one another directly. Each office is located on the first floor of the Administration Building and is right next to one another. But, in trying to figure out the school will deduct non-residency fees from my tuition, I get passed from one office to another.

Me at Cashier's Office: Hi, I want to know why I'm still being charged non-resident tuition when I was approved for residency last week.

Cashier's Office Employee: Well, I'm looking at your account and it doesn't look like you were approved for residency. Are you sure you got approved?

Me: Yes, I got the letter last week saying I was approved. How long does it take for the Admissions Office to relay that information to you?

Cashier Office: Well, they don't tell us directly. They just make a change in the system and everything updates automatically.

Me: um..okay...

Cashier Office: So, you should go to the Admissions Office and make sure they actually approved you for residency status.

Me: Alright.

---- ---- ----

Me at Admissions Office: Hi, I got a letter from your office approving my residency petition, but I'm still being charged non-resident tuition and I just printed the bill this morning.

Admissions Office Employee: Oh? When did you get approved?

Me: I got the letter last week.

Admissions Office: Well, let me look you up. It says here that you're a resident.

Me: Well then how long does it take for the Cashier's Office to make the changes and deduct the non-resident fees?

Admissions Office: It should have been done already. Are you sure you're being billed for non-residency?

Me: Here's the bill I printed this morning. And if you look at it, I got charged twice for the non-resident fee -- which doesn't make sense at all.

Admissions Office: That really is weird. As soon as we update you in the system as a resident, your fees should have been adjusted accordingly. Maybe the Financial Aid office has a hold on your account?

Me: Why would they that?

Admissions Office: Did you get all of your financial aid already? Because the change in your residency status might deduct your financial aid.

Me: Well, I'm just waiting for them to certify a private loan, and even that is taking forever.

Admissions Office: I'd go talk to the Financial Aid Office.

Me: Um okay.

--- --- ---

Me at Financial Aid Office: Hi, I just got approved for resident status but I'm still being charged for non-resident tuition, charged twice actually, and Cashiers and Admissions Office think you have an answer why.

Financial Aid Office employee: Well, they're wrong. We don't deal with residency. We don't know why you're being charged non-resident fees. You need to go tell Cashiers Office it's their job to figure out the tuition fees.

Me: Do you guys talk to one another? Do the people in Financial Aid just hate the people in Admissions and Cashiers, and vice versa?

Financial Aid Office: Why do you say that?

Me: Because no one can give me an answer and each keeps sending me to another office for the answer.

Financial Aid Office: I don't know. Go ask the Cashier's Office.

At this point I am pounding my head on the counter. And I'm still being charged more than a regular non-resident student is being charged even though I'm now a resident and should be charged much less. Did that make any sense?

No comments: