Tuesday, November 09, 2010

got apples?

I was visiting L & G and they had a bag of apples picked from L's brother's backyard.  So what do we do with all these apples?  Make apple pie of course!

What to do with all these apples?


It was a last minute decision to make the pie and we didn't really have time to make the pie dough from scratch, so we cheated a little...

so I cheated a bit


In addition, we didn't have a lot of time as I had to catch the Amtrak train back to SF later that evening, so I searched online for a simple apple pie recipe. I quickly decided on this Betty Crocker recipe because it looked simple and quick, and also it didn't require too many ingredients for the filling.

8 cups of apples - peeled and sliced


The most time consuming task was peeling and slicing the apples. Let me say I wish I had one of these things for peeling and also one of these things for quicker slicing (okay, it's just more cool gadgets I want in the kitchen).  Alas, I used good ole elbow grease to get 8 cups of apple slices.

making the apples cinnamonny


Next, throw all the filling ingredients on top of the apples and mix until blended.

piling on the apples


Then load all the apples into the pie-dough-lined pie dish.

don't forget the butter


Add butter.

all ready for the oven


Cover with pie-dough-top and then put it in the oven and await the cinnamon apple aroma to fill your kitchen.

my first apple pie


It takes about an hour to bake, then you have to let it cool because I'm pretty sure you'd burn your tongue off if you ate a slice of apple pie right out of the oven. And trust you me, the pie was still quite warm after cooling for an hour. Ice-cream optional.

This pie was so deliciously "scrumptious," it lasted a day in the L & G household - we each had a slice for dinner that same night, then G had the rest as lunch and dinner the next day!

No comments: