Thursday, November 22, 2007

you cook rice, puts family to shame

Mom: You put too much water in the rice, it's all soggy.

Me: Sorry. When you said "put just a little bit of water" I didn't think you meant that little.

Mom: I said just little water.

Me: Sorry. I just put half a finger measurement of water in there. To me that's little! Our rice back in Kansas City, I use a whole finger measurement and it's still dry!! What kind of rice did you buy anyway?

Mom: You are going to embarass our family if you cook rice that way for your mother-in-law. Tsk-tsk, a girl who can't even cook rice.

Me: Well, if I don't marry a Vietnamese guy, or if I don't marry an Asian guy at all, we won't have to worry that I can't cook rice.

Mom: What?! The Boy won't be able to speak with me.

Me: Yes, he can. He can say "chào cô khỏe không?" [Hi miss, how are you?]

Mom: Aiyah!

Me: And he likes my rice. And his mother likes my rice.

Mom: Well, I can't eat your rice. Cook it again.

Me: Aiyah!

No comments: