Friday, June 29, 2007

money don't mean a thing


I had to go to Chicago for a couple of days to attend this "expected but not required" orientation meeting at the American Bar Association (for a judicial clerkship that I got awarded). So, I had to get a hotel for two nights and I really didn't want to spend more than $250 (yes, pricey, but I didn't want to stay in the ghetto). The Boy helped me make the hotel accommodations.
....

The first hotel The Boy reserved for me was the Four Points Sheraton at Chicago Midway Airport. My flight didn't get into Chicago until 1am, so I didn't want to go too far to get to the hotel. It was a great hotel, even at the $150 a night pricetag. I had a suite, with a king size bed that had down pillows and comforters. Free wireless internet in the room, and 24 hour room service. Too bad it wasn't closer to downtown Chicago, because I might have stayed there for a second night.
....

The second hotel The Boy reserved for my second night in Chicago was the Allerton Hotel, at $199 a night. Yes, this is over my budget, but The Boy offered to pay for the difference because he wanted me to stay in a safe neighborhood. Isn't that sweet of him? Too bad the hotel's quality didn't meet the price:
.
1. The room was tiny. It was really, really small for $199 a night. There was a queen size bed, with a sheet for a blanket. Okay, there was some thin little comforter but it wasn't thick and soft like the down comforter at the Sheraton. There was no bathtub. It was only a stand alone shower. There was no separate bottle of shampoo or conditioner but only one bottle of "conditioning shampoo". And there was no free bottle of water.
.
2. There was no wireless internet in the rooms. The only place to get wireless internet was in the lobby area. Yes, it was free internet, but still. I would have paid $9.99 to be able to use my laptop in the comfort of the bed.
.
3. There was no room service. Seriously, no room service. No menu to order from. Nothing. Nada. They only had this doorknob hangy thing that you could fill out for breakfast, which doesn't start until 6am. So because I woke up at 5am, I had to wait an hour for them to deliver my breakfast. Come on now, for $199 a night, you should be at my beck and call.
.
4. I get a pet roach.


Yes, a two inch giant roach -- the kind you only see in Southeast Asia. This is seriously the first giant cockroach I have seen in the US. Too bad I saw it at 5am in the morning. Otherwise, I would have demanded a new room.
....
Although The Boy paid for the room at the Allerton, he was really glad he didn't have to stay in the hotel because he would have raised all sort of hell to get his money's worth. Well, at least he tried to give me luxury. It's the thought that counts, right?

No comments: