Wednesday, May 23, 2007

bed a broke a




I broke the bed. No, I was not jumping up and down on my bed. I was sleeping, actually. I was on one side, turned over to the other side and heard a board break, then found myself lying on a slanted mattress. It was after midnight so I didn't really want to go ask the hotel staff to fix it and decided to sleep through the night. Each time I turned over or rolled over, however, the boards kept creaking and/or breakinga little bit more, and the mattress kept slumping down on one side.

As I was getting dressed in the morning, I sat down on the bed to put some lotion on my legs and as soon as my butt touched the bed, there was a loud "THUNK" and the mattress broke through the boards underneath and fell to the floor. All I could do was laugh because I didn't know how to explain to the hotel staff that I just broke the bed.

So this is the conversation I had with the hotel staff:

Me: Ni hao. Ni hui shuo ying wen ma? [Do you speak English?]

Lady at the Front Desk: Yi dian. [a little]

Me: Okay. Zuo tian wo shui jiao le [yesterday when I was sleeping] wo de "bed" [my bed] shi "thunk." [go "thunk"].

Lady at the Front Desk: Bed a broke?

Me: Yes, bed broke.

Lady at the Front Desk: Broke a big?

Me: Um…zuo tian broke yi dian. Jin tian broke hen da [yesterday little break, today big break].

Lady at the Front Desk: Big a break? Bed a break big?

Me: Shi. Duibuqi [Yes, sorry].

Lady at the Front Desk starts laughing and tells me she'll tell housekeeping to fix the bed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sad...so very sad!! =) E-